Reading about Families: Home
Why Use Family Stories?
Family stories appeal to children who want to read about / hear about others like themselves. They also help children to walk in the shoes of someone else, whose time, ethnicity, or family situation is different from their own.
Hello! Hello! / by Matthew Cordell (2012)
Blackout / by John Rocco (2011)
For Teachers and Care-Givers
There are dozens of phrases used to describe families. As a starting point try these subject terms:
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Family life -- Fiction
- Family problems -- Fiction
- Family secrets - Fiction
- Mother and child / Father and child
- Mothers and daughters / Fathers and daughters
- Mothers and sons / Fathers and sons
- Stepmothers / Stepfathers
- Teenage mothers / Teenage fathers
- Death of a parent
- Foster children
- Grandparents /Grandfathers /Grandmothers
- Single parent families
The original layout for this page was created by Karen Morris, last updated June 2016 by Shannon Bowman.