The OSU Library is offering a course that will prepare you to use all Library resources (including the Internet and other electronic databases) to meet your current and future academic needs.
LBSC 1011: Library and Internet Information Competencies is a one-hour-credit course that helps students develop effective research techniques and become efficient using library resources. Problem-solving assignments that require the use of print and electronic information resources will be coordinated with class sessions. The course will cover how to use the Library's online catalog, electronic databases (such as ProQuest), the Internet and the World Wide Web.
Note: Because this is an eight week, condensed course, lecture and homework begin in the first week.
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Develop effective search strategies.
- Use basic reference sources, the library's online catalog, periodical indexes and computerized resources to find the required information.
- Develop an awareness of how to use the Internet and access remote computerized information sources.
- Use critical thinking skills to evaluate the validity and reliability of information sources.
- Become more confident and knowledgeable about using the resources of a large academic library.
LBSC 1011 Schedule - Fall 2014
In Spring 2014, we will be offering one half-semester face-to-face section of LBSC 1011 (enroll through SIS). These will meet for 8 weeks in 206 Library. Section enrollment is limited to 25.
|201||Monday||October 13 - December 5
6:45 - 8:35 p.m.
|206 Library||Simpson Harding|
In Spring 2014, we also will be offering 6 online-only sections of LBSC 1011 (enroll through SIS). These courses will be administered in Desire2Learn and will not meet face-to-face.
|503||September 22 - October 24||Oberhelman|
|513||October 6 - November 7||Chang|
|523||October 27 - December 5||Oberhelman|
|533||October 27 - December 5||Oberhelman|
|543||October 27 - December 5||Clements|
|553||October 27 - December 5||Clements|
For information contact David Oberhelman 744-9773, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
LBSC 1011 Instructors
- Prof. Hui-fen Chang, Email: email@example.com, (405-744-5317) 306 Edmon Low Library
- Dr. Helen Clements, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, (405-744-9774), 306 Edmon Low Library
- Dr. David Oberhelman, Email: email@example.com, (405-744-9773), 306 Edmon Low Library
- Dr. Lynne Simpson Harding, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, (405-744-2135), 306 Edmon Low Library
LBSC 1011 Coordinator
306 Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078