Zotero: Install Zotero for Firefox
What is Zotero for Firefox?
Choose Zotero for Firefox if:
- You use the Firefox browser
- You prefer to have Zotero as a pane inside your browser instead of a separate window
Zotero for Firefox runs as a plugin for the Firefox web browser, not as a separate program.
The same version of Zotero for Firefox works on any computer that runs Firefox; there are no separate Windows and Mac versions.
Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone?
If you're using Firefox, follow the instructions on this page to install Zotero.
If you're using Safari or Chrome as your browser, Zotero offers a version called Zotero Standalone that works with those browsers.
Installing Zotero for Firefox
Step 1. Install the Zotero for Firefox plugin
Go to the Zotero Download page.
Click the Zotero for Firefox link.
When you see the message "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer," click Allow.
Click Install Now, and Zotero will download and install. You can either restart Firefox now, or wait until you have installed the word processor toolbar (below).
Step 2. Install word processor plugins
Word processor plugins allow you to insert citations and bibliographies directly into your documents. Installing them is optional but highly recommended.
Go to the Word Processor Plugins page. Choose the most recent version of the plugins if you're installing Zotero for the first time.
Word for Mac/Windows users:
- Close Word.
- Click the link labeled "Install the Word for Windows Plugin" or "Install the Word for Mac Plugin."
- When you see the message "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer," click Allow.
- Click Allow and Install now as above.
- Restart Firefox when prompted.