Literature, Creative Writing, & Literary Criticism: Journal Articles, Databases
This guide will help you find British, American, and English-language literary texts, creative writing resources, and literary criticism on authors or literary works in books, reference book entries, and journal articles available from the OSU Library.
Databases for Journal Articles, etc.
Below are the key subject databases to search for journal articles of literary criticism. Many of the databases have full-text articles, but if the full text is not available, click on the Article Linker link (). If another database from the OSU Library has the full text of the article, it will be displayed in a new window or a link to it will appear. If an article is not available online from another database, you can get a copy of the article from interlibrary loan. Click on the "Request a copy of this article" link and log in to the Interlibrary Services page that comes up. The article citation information will automatically appear in the interlibray loan form. Click the "Submit" button, and you will receive an email when your article is available, usually within 48 hours.
You will need to log in with your OSU email address and O-Key password to access these databases off-campus. Click HERE to log in.
- MLA International BibliographyThe MLAIB (via EBSCO) is the largest, most comprehensive database to search for articles from over 4,400 international journals, book chapters, books, etc. of literary criticism from 1926 to the present. The MLA International Bibliography from EBSCO has full text and linked full text articles. The MLA Directory of Periodicals contains editorial and subscription information on 5,500 journals on literary and related topics indexed in the MLA International Bibliography.
- JSTORprovides full-text access for over 1,450 scholarly journals in language and literature, history, and many other humanities and social sciences disciplines. Coverage is generally from 1900-2000, and there is a 3-5 year moving wall embargo for new content.
- Project MUSEprovides full-text access to 43 journals published by The Johns Hopkins University Press and other university presses. Includes journals in literature, theatre, history, and other humanities and social sciences disciplines. Coverage varies from 1993-2007 to the present, including new content as it comes out.
- Humanities International Completeis an EBSCO database covering 2,300 journals and full text for 1,200 journals in several humanities fields, especially literature, history, philosophy, religious studies, etc. Contains some full-text journal articles, books, and other publications.
- America: History & Lifeis the premier American history database from ABC-Clio. It has many full-text articles and citations from a wide array of journals related to American studies, culture, and literature. Coverage is from 1964 to the present.
- Iter Bibliographyis a massive bibliography of more than 1.2 million citations for secondary source material about the European Middle Ages and Renaissance, 400-1700. (NOTE: for articles in search results, click on the title to view the citation details, and then click on the "Check for full text" link to see if OSU has the full text.)
- International Medieval Bibliography (IMB)is a massive bibliography of more than 1.2 million citations for secondary source material about the European Middle Ages and Renaissance, 400-1700. (NOTE: for articles in search results, click on the title to view the citation details, and then click on the "Check for full text" link to see if OSU has the full text.)
- World Shakespeare Bibliography Onlineis a searchable electronic database of Shakespeare-related scholarship and theatrical productions published or produced worldwide between 1961 and 2008. It contains over 117,490 annotated entries consisting of books, articles, productions, films, and other sources.
- Milton Bibliography (1624-1799)tries to bring together all manuscripts and editions of John Milton's works and all studies and critical statements concerning his life and works, all allusions and quotations, and all significant imitations during the years 1624-1799.
- Center for Research Libaries[More detail in Historical Ebooks Guide] A consortium of university and independent research libraries in North America. CRL holds over 4 million newspapers, journals and other traditional and digital resources for research and teaching, with an emphasis outside the United States.
Materials found at this site are requested through our OSU-based Interlibrary Service and may be kept for extended periods of time
- Hathi Trust[More detail in Historical Ebooks Guide] HathiTrust is a partnership of major academic libraries and research institutions to create an open access collection of digital texts from different periods and covering many fields of knowledge. Currently over 9 million volumes have been digitized for the Hathi Trust initiative. Log in on the homepage with your OSU O-Key login to view all the content.
- Digital Dissertations/Dissertation AbstractsAccess to OSU dissertations in PDF format from 1961 - present. Dissertations from other universities are available from 1997 - present, and in some cases earlier.
- OSU Theses and DissertationsDigital collection of Master's theses and doctoral dissertations at OSU.
General Databases / Reviews
The following are general library databases with some full-text articles from journals and other periodicals covering many subject areas. They are not specific to any one field, but are multidisciplinary and worth consulting along with the subject-specific databases listed above. They are also good for finding book reviews; for more information, see the Book Reviews guide at http://info.library.okstate.edu/bookreviews.
- ProQuest Research Libraryindexes over 4,700 journals, magazines, and newspapers many subject fields from approximately 1970 to the present, and includes full-text articles from over 3,300 journals.
- Academic Search Premierfrom EBSCO has citations and abstracts from over 8,500 journals (4,600 with full-text articles) from 1975 to the present.
- Google ScholarContains some journal articles--off campus, use the link our Databases list and log in to access OSU subscription articles. Includes citation numbers for many articles.
- Times (London) Digital Archive, 1785-2014Two hundred years of The (London) Times. Includes many book reviews and literary articles.