Hospitality and Tourism Management: Cite Sources
A guide to resources and research in hospitality
Why cite sources?
It's important to cite sources you used in your research for several reasons:
- To show your reader you've done proper research by listing sources you used to get your information
- To avoid plagiarism by quoting words and ideas used by other authors
- To be a responsible scholar by giving credit to other researchers and acknowledging their ideas
- To allow your reader to track down the sources you used by citing them accurately in your paper by way of footnotes, a bibliography or reference list
How to cite sources?
The citation system and format you use will be determined by the citation style you choose. Check with your instructor which style he/she wishes you to use, and if there are other special formatting instructions you should follow. The following are four commonly used citation styles:
- APA (APA Style Quick Guide)
From the American Psychological Association. Often preferred in the fields of psychology and many other social sciences.
- Chicago (Chicago Style Quick Guide)
From the University of Chicago Press. It has two basic documentation systems: (a) Notes-Bibliography System, preferred by many in the humanities including history, literatures, and the arts, and (b) Author-Date System, used by those in the physical, natural, and social sciences. ("Turabian" style derives from this and is similar to it in many ways).
- Turabian (Turabian Style Quick Guide)
Where to find the complete style manuals at OSU Libraries?
The followings are the manuals for APA, MLA, Chicago and Turabian. For other citation manuals, use the Library Catalog or BOSS to locate the manual and call#.
- Publication Manual of American Psychological Association byCall Number: 808.02 P976 2010ISBN: 1433805618Most current edition is the 9th ed., published in 2010.
- The Chicago Manual of StyleCall Number: 655.25 C532 2010ISBN: 0226104206Most current edition is the 16th ed., published in 2010.
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertation byCall Number: 808.02 T929m 2007ISBN: 0226823369The latest edition is the 7th ed., published in 2007.
Bibliographic Management Software
Zotero is an application that collects, manages, and cites research sources. It's easy to use, connects with your web browser to download sources, and best of all it's free.