Chemistry: Web resources
Chemistry Resources on the Internet
- Chemistry Topics by RSCThese learning resources are designed for individual, self-paced learning.
- ChemSpiderA free chemical structure database providing fast text and structure search access to over 58 million structures from hundreds of data sources.
- TOXNETDatabases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, environmental health, and toxic releases.
Science.gov - This is the recently redesigned gateway to scientific resources produced by the U.S. government. There are a number of important chemistry-related databases available here, including ChemWebBook, CHEMIDPlus, IRIS, CancerNet. etc. Many are searchable by compound name, CAS Registry Number, structure, etc.
NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- NIST ThermoLitUse for Thermophysical and Thermochemical Property Measurements.
- NIST Chemistry WebBookA convenient access to a variety of physical and chemical property data on well defined chemical species and reactions.
- A guide to the NIST Chemistry WebBookBy Peter J. Linstrom
InChI and SMILE
International Chemical Identifier (InChI)
InChI string/keys are text identifiers for small organic molecules, and are generated from structural diagrams.
There is generally no need for special drawing conventions.
SMILES - Simplified Molecular Input Line Entry Specification- is a compact machine and human-readable chemical nomenclature.