Laptop FAQ: Home
Where can I get a laptop?
- Laptops can be borrowed at the first floor Circulation Desk in the Edmon Low Library. Please bring your OSU ID.
- You will need to fill out a Statement of Responsibility to check out laptops.
What kind of devices are available?
- 150 Dell laptops
- 50 Microsoft Surfaces
- 30 Macbook Pro’s
- 30 Macbook Air’s
- Chargers and peripherals for all of the above
How long can I borrow a laptop?
- The checkout period is 5 hours.
Can I renew a laptop?
- Yes*, for an additional 5 hours. Call 744-6812 to renew by phone or renew in person.
- *If we are on a waiting list for laptops you will not be allowed to renew and you must return your device to the circulation desk.
Are there fines?
- Laptop overdue fines are $.50/minute or $30/hour.
- See the Statement of Responsibility.
When I'm finished with the laptop, can I just put it on the Circulation Desk and leave?
- Absolutely not. You are responsible for returning your items directly to a library staff member and ensuring that they are checked back in properly.
- You must wait in line to return a laptop, otherwise you will accrue an “Abandoned” strike on your record.
- Repeat offenders will be banned from laptop checkout for the remainder of the year.
Can I print out my work?
- Yes, there are printers for the laptops opposite the laptop circulation desk on the first floor.
Why does it take so long to check a laptop out or in?
- When the Circulation staff checks a laptop out to you, they record information that is important for solving problems and identifying correct fines. However, it generally takes less than a minute to check out a laptop.
- When the laptop is returned, the staff does a quick check for damage or missing pieces. It is important to us that every user gets a laptop in good working order, and that if a user is charged for damage or loss, it is the correct user! You can shorten the check-in time if you shut down the device and wrap up any cables you may have checked out.
Will I be able to install my own software?
- Yes, you can install software, but only on the Dell Laptops and it will be deleted when the laptop is turned off.
Can I take the Laptop out of the Library?
- Yes, the laptops can be taken out of the library and will connect to the Wi-Fi everywhere on campus.
How do I access my H:\ drive?
- IT offers the following instructions to connect to your H:\ drive.
- For more help with your User ID or Password, contact the IT Help Desk at (405) 744-HELP (4357).
- You can contact the Online IT Help Desk.
What do I do if the battery runs low?
- If your battery runs low, save your work to an external drive (not the hard drive!!), bring the laptop to the Circulation Desk on first floor and we can check out a power cord for your specific device.
- If you know you are going to be working for several hours, you might consider checking out a power cord at the time you borrow the laptop. If you plug the laptop into the wall, you won't have to worry about a dying battery.