The first step is to decide what you are looking for and what level the position will be. Create a list of requirements such as typing speed, pushing book carts, ability to work independently. Once you have a base to work from, create a list of special skills such as familiarity with Excel, ability to alphabetize materials by title, proficient on a variety of software, or ability to program.
Once you have described what skills you are looking for in a new employee, it is time to describe the responsibilities of the position you are filling. Think carefully about what you would like this employee to help with and what tasks previous students have worked on in similar positions, This section will mention the type of material your area works with, if you expect them to document and report success of workflows.
After you have this description, consult with the library HR team to determine what level the student will start at and what the pay or pay range should be. You will need to let the Dean's Office know what you decide to offer as pay when extending an offer to the student you decide to hire.
OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Oklahoma State University Library has an opening for a Student Assistant II to work approximately 10 hours per week. Hours will be scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Some scheduling flexibility may be possible after training is complete.
· Minimum typing speed of 35 words per minute, with emphasis on accuracy over speed
· Ability to work at a computer for an extended period (usually 1-2 hours at a time).
· Willingness to learn new skills and adapt to changes in workflow or procedure.
· Self-motivation and ability to collaborate on projects
Special Skills and Abilities:
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
· Knowledge of other software and programming languages (VBA, html and xml) preferred
· Attention to detail, particularly in regards to grammar and formatting
· Assist with creation of metadata records for a variety of digital materials.
· Collaborate with staff on database and metadata clean-up and maintenance
· Complete special projects as assigned.
· Report and document problems encountered while editing and the solution to each.
Starting pay rate: $8.75/hr-$9.75/hr.