Madison Chartier: Profile
Madison Chartier is the Metadata Librarian for Edmon Low Library’s Digital Resources and Discovery Services at Oklahoma State University. She graduated from Butler University in 2015 as a double major. She earned her bachelor’s degree in English with high honors and a creative writing concentration. She earned a second degree in French. Following graduation, she worked for seven months in Chevreuse, France, a town just south of Paris. She taught English in an elementary school as part of the competitive Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF). While still in France, she was accepted into the graduate program for library and information science at Indiana University Bloomington. She received her MLS with a concentration in archives and records management spring of 2018.
Metadata is a dynamic emerging field in the world of libraries. Metadata is how libraries stipulate guidelines for online resource description. How resources are described and coded facilitates researchers’ ability to discover and access these resources. These same guidelines enable resources to be shared between different computer systems and different institutions. Metadata has become particularly important for academic libraries creating institutional repositories that house digital collections and highlight faculty and student publications. As the Metadata Librarian, Madison is responsible for creating and routinely editing the metadata for OSU’s digital collections, including faculty papers and electronic student dissertations and theses. She also collaborates with OSU faculty to develop local metadata standards for specific projects. This custom metadata may then be translated into nationally approved standards using crosswalks, allowing broader user access outside the institution. Madison is also currently involved with the Digital Library Federation’s Assessment Interest Group on Metadata, collaborating with other metadata professionals to assess and establish best recommended practices for metadata implementation. She is a member of the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
How can Madison help you?
I Can Help With
- Schemas & Standards
- Controlled Vocabularies
- Data Dictionaries
- Guidelines & Best Practices
- Resource Description
- Member, Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), American Library Association (ALA) (2019-Present)
- Mentee, ALCTS Mentoring Program (2019)
- Member, New Members Round Table
- Member, International Library Interests Round Table
- Member, Metadata Working Group, Digital Library Federation Assessment Interest Group (DLF AIG) (2019-Present)
- Member, Metadata Analysis Tools Repository Subgroup
- Member, Benchmarks for Metadata Quality Subgroup
- Member, Metadata Support Group, (2019-Present)
- Member, Staff Lounge Committee, Edmon Low Library Staff Association, Oklahoma State University (2019-Present)