Using SciFinder-n: Home
The OSU Library began subscribing to the new SciFinder-n platform in the fall of 2020. Users of the old SciFinder will find that there are some differences.
SciFinder-n provides access to Chemical Abstracts, a division of the American Chemical Society. It is the world's leading source for chemical information. It provides summaries and indexes to periodical literature, including 8,000 journals, technical reports, dissertations and conference proceedings. SciFinder also includes the CAS REGISTRY, for substance information.
- Register for Access to SciFinder-nAccess to SciFinder-n is restricted to Oklahoma State University students, faculty and staff. Be sure to register with your OSU email address.
Sources of Content
SciFinder-n pulls content from several files:
- Content at a GlanceOVERVIEW.
- CAPlus File (Chemical Abstracts)Updated daily, the CAPlus file contains titles, abstracts and indexing for journal articles, patents, dissertations and much more.
- CAS Registry File (Substance Information)The CAS Registry file contains over 155 million unique chemical substances and more that 68 million sequences. You can find names and synonyms, property and spectral data, preparation methods, and commerical availability with a link to articles or patents in other files that contain it.
- CASREACT (Reactions)Updated daily, CASREACT contains millions of single- and multi-step reactions including many synthetic preparations.
- CHEMCATS (Catalogs)Identifies chemical suppliers.
- CHEMLIST (Regulatory lists)CHEMLIST shares what regulatory lists a chemical is on. It is also a good source of names for chemicals in a variety of languages.
- MARPAT (Substances in patents)MARPAT searches markush structures - or structures that are general and vague and represent a collection of substances - that are often found in patents.
- CIN - Chemistry Industry NotesCIN contributes titles, abstracts and indexing including Registry Numbers, from trade publications including government documents, trade magazines and newsletters.
- ChemZentAbstracts for articles from 1830 from Chemisches Zentralblatt translated into English
SciFinder-n searches MEDLINE and CAPLUS files simultaneously.
- PatentPakQuickly locate relevant information within patents.
- MethodsNowLocate and compare methodology.
- Retrosynthesis PlanSee SciFinder-n’s suggested route for preparing a compound from commercially available precursors. See this how-to video
Off Campus Access
Remote access to electronic library resources and software downloads is available ONLY to currently-enrolled OSU-Stillwater students and OSU-Stillwater faculty and staff.
Access to SciFinder-n requires logging in to the library using your OKey Credentials.