Skip to main content

Oklahoma State University Archives: Records Management at OSU

Contact Record Management Questions

Please contact David Peters at or 405-744-6311 if you need assistance with Records Management.

David can also be reached by mailing forms to 204 Edmon Low Library, Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK 74078.


The Archives preserves university records of permanent value. Such records have continuing administrative, legal, fiscal and/or historical significance. By maintaining these records we can ensure that the important work done by your unit is documented for future generations.

We do not accept nor do we keep records containing personal confidential information such as student education records, class rolls, etc. For more information on accessing education records please contact the OSU Office of the Registrar. See also Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) General Information.

How to Transfer Official Records to University Archives- Preparing Your Files

  • In order to correctly identify your records, consult the State Universities and Colleges Consolidated General Records Disposition Schedule (pdf)
  • Fill out a Records Destruction/Transfer Form. If you have records for destruction, place them on a separate form. Make a copy for your records. Send original to University Archives, Edmon Low Library, Room 204. For assistance in filling out the Records Destruction/Transfer Requests form, please see the Example Completed Records Retention Form linked above.
  • Records Destruction/Transfer Requests are reviewed on a regular basis. Transfer requests are acted upon immediately. 
  • Place records approved for transfer in file folders with descriptive labels.
  • Separate and label confidential materials.
  • Replace hanging file folders with traditional flat folders.
  • Label each box with your office name, box number (1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc.), the name of the records series, dates covered by the records, and schedule and series number (i.e.,"UC GRDS, 5-15").
  • Pack records in the order in which they were kept by your office.
  • Prepare a list of folder titles for each box and place in the front of Box 1.
  • Call University Archives at 405-744-6311 so that we may expect your records.
  • If the volume of your records warrants, call Physical Plant at 405-744-7154 to arrange for transport of your records to Edmon Low Library, Room 204.
  • You will receive confirmation from the University Archives that your records have been received. At that time you will be given the accession number assigned to your records. This number is used to identify the records should you need access to them.
  • When the records have been processed and a finding aid has been prepared, you will receive a copy of the finding aid via campus mail. Generally this process takes 6-36 months depending on current receipts.

What to Send to the OSU Archives

  • Records that document the organization, function, policies, procedures, operations and essential transactions of the unit and friends groups
  • Official correspondence and memoranda
  • Committee minutes
  • Publications and annual or other reports issued by your unit
  • Photographs (please identify before transferring)
  • Machine readable records accompanied by printed documentation
  • Remove ;CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL from files and make arrangements for its safe storage (only records that are exempt from the Oklahoma Open Records Act)

What You Should Keep with Your Records

  • Personnel records
  • Routine and courtesy correspondence such as: acknowledgments, announcements, confirmations, invitations, itineraries, reservations, letters of transmittal
  • Material not related to the function/administration of the office:
    • General distribution memos of other offices
    • Publications of other institutions
  • Departmental copies of financial records such as:
    • Monthly budget statements
    • Purchase orders
    • Receipts, vouchers, work orders
    • Salary distribution forms
  • Generally, if your office does not create a record, your copies are convenience copies and may be disposed of unless they contain confidential information