Library Ambassador Program: About the Ambassador Program
About the Program
The OSU Library Student Ambassadors represent the student face of the library by supporting our events and programming and by contributing to increased library engagement with the campus community. Ambassadors will gain valuable experience working with library staff and faculty, representing the library as professional, knowledgeable and courteous advocates for our services, spaces and resources.
The application period for the 2016/2017 Ambassadors will open on March 1, 2016 and will close on March 20, 2016.
Applications are currently closed.
Salary: $10.00 per hour
Duties and Responsibilities
- Outreach and Engagement
- Ambassadors will staff admissions browse sessions; welcome new and prospective students to campus and promote library services, spaces and resources. This may include participating in promotional and instructional video and photo shoots.
- Work with Library Communications and Undergraduate/Graduate Services to promote library services, spaces and resources.
- Meet with student groups to inform and promote library services, spaces and resources.
- Event Planning and Support
- Assist in the development and implementation of various events and programs, such as Welcome Week tours and Library House Party, Friends Dinner, Science Café and Noon Concert Series.
- Provide library with student feedback regarding improvement/development of services, spaces and resources.
- Attend monthly meetings and provide a total of 30-50 hours of service per semester (including meeting time).
Each spring, up to 15 OSU Library Student Ambassadors will be selected through an application and interview process. Ambassadors will be pooled from current OSU library student employees and from external applicants. At least one OSU Library Student Ambassador will be a graduate student.
- Full-time student (Undergraduate: 12 hours in fall/spring, 6 hours in summer & Graduate: 9 hours in fall/spring, 3 hours in summer)
- At least a 3.0 GPA
Students will submit an application detailing:
- Why they would make an excellent ambassador.
- Why the library is integral to a well-rounded academic experience.
- How the library could potentially improve services, spaces or resources for students.
No more than 15 ambassadors will be active in the program at any given time. Vacancies will be filled as needed.
Duration of Ambassadorship
OSU Library Student Ambassadors will be selected for an initial one-year term. Terms will begin in early August, the exact date to be determined by the program director, but there will be an initial spring meeting to coordinate planning for the fall semester. Employment as an ambassador during the summer is a possibility.
OSU Library Student Ambassadors with excellent performance will have the option to retain their position for another one-year term. In the event of less than satisfactory performance, OSU Library Student Ambassadors may be dismissed from the program. The program director will use Library and University policy and procedure to dismiss a student from the program. Status in the OSU Library program generally will not impact current or potential employment status in another Library unit.
OSU Library Student Ambassadors with excellent performance are eligible to keep their position until they graduate from the University.
View our current Library Student Ambassadors.