If you would like to bring your class to the Library, we ask that you contact us in advance to make arrangements. Some questions we will as include:
- What is the purpose of the visit? Are students working on an assignment, or just interested in a quick tour of the library building?
- How many students will be coming? Generally, we can accomodate school groups of less than 36, particularly if students need to online access resources and collections for research papers. If your class needs to use our collections and databases, we need to show them how to do that, and our instruction room seats 36 students. If you bring more than 36 students, I cannot guarantee computers for them to use, as all computers outside of the training room require OSU logins.
- How long will you need to be in the library? Generally, school groups work with a librarian for an hour or two in the instruction room, because computers are scarce for non-OSU students. One to two hour visits are the custom.
The Edmon Low Library welcomes Oklahoma elementary and secondary school groups to visit and make use of available resources. School groups interested in visiting should make note of suggested guidelines for school group visits.
- Please limit school group size to a maximum of 28. (If we bring groups in for library instruction, the electronic classroom can only accommodate a maximum of about 36.)
- Students should have some project or assignment to work on. Students should have a research topic before they arrive at the Library.
- There should be adult supervision and/or chaperones.
- Please call to make arrangements for a visit at least 2 weeks in advance, the earlier the better. When school groups visit, the Library must assign extra librarians to the reference desk to accommodate the increase in activity that results. Please request a librarian for instruction and orientation. A librarian can meet with your group if you ask.
- There are certain times of the school year when it is not recommended that school groups to visit. "Bad times" for library visits include the first month to six weeks of the semester (when we are engaged in freshman orientation and English composition instruction) and pre-finals and finals week period, days when there is already another school group visiting, etc.
- The OSU Library is dedicated to priority service for the students, faculty and staff of the University community. Non-university groups will be welcomed, but our first priority always rests with the University community.
- The Edmon Low Library is a place for quiet research, consultation and study. Appropriate conduct is expected from all who use the facilities. Complaints regarding inappropriate behavior from school groups may result in that school from being denied permission to visit in the future.
- OSU Library Internet accessible workstations are specifically off limits to school groups.
- School groups should not be noisy or unruly.
- School groups should not use tobacco in any form; tobacco use is prohibited by university policy.
To make a reservation for a school group, please contact Dan Chaney at 405-744-9772, or via e-mail at email@example.com.