Organizing FAST START workshops: Scheduling
Step by step guide to organizing FAST START workshops taught by librarians and others to help new faculty and graduate students learn about support resources available for researchers at OSU
After workshops have been scheduled on the Google sheet, more details will be needed to create calendar entries and registration forms. A Google form such as this, is a fast way to ask for the descriptions for both.
Online workshops will need to be scheduled on Zoom and a Zoom link included with the registration form. This can be done simultaneously with creating the LibCal event with the registration link embedded.
Steps for creating the event are:
- Create the Zoom link (if it will be virtual).
- Save and send a calendar item to the instructors by clicking on the appropriate calendar button. For OSU that will be the Outlook calendar type.
- Create a LibCal event with the name, date and description of the workshop. The description can be an abbreviated version.
- Under "Event Location" click on "Online Event via Facebook Live (or other)"
- Copy the link to the Zoom meeting (url) and paste it into the EVENT URL field
- In the "Security" field, copy the password for the Zoom meeting and paste it into the Password/PIN field. You should click on "show" which will cause the 6 digit password to become visible.
- Create a friendly url.
- EVENT DETAILS - name of the instructor from a dropdown list and category (Instruction).
- REGISTRATION - click on "registration is required" which will open the options for registration. Decide how many registrations to allow. For a virtual workshop this can be a large number (50) but for an in-person workshop, it should be no more than 30 if the library room 206 will be the venue. Also, select an appropriate registration form ("Fall_2020_workshop") or create one for the workshop .
- Other settings include when to send a reminder (1 day before or the day of the workshop), whether to send a follow up and when (day after) and which assessment survey to send. The FAST START 2021 survey was created for this workshop series.
- After the event is created, hit the submit button at the bottom of the page. It must be approved by an administrator before it is visible on the library events calendar.