Citation/Style Manuals: Overview
Print Citation Style Manuals
There are several different style manuals for how to prepare citations in a bibliography. Each academic discipline uses a specific style for preparing citations. This style dictates the elements and their order in a citation as well as the format of the bibliography. If you have a writing assignment, your instructor may specify which style to use. If not, there are certain style manuals commonly used in the various disciplines.
Keep in mind, information from the Internet should be cited differently from print materials. Earlier editions of style manuals may not include how to cite Internet sources. Be sure the edition you use has specific directions for citing electronic online sources. If you are unsure which style manual you should use, check with your instructor about what style is appropriate for the discipline.
Use the tab above to find Web resources on various commonly used citation styles. The EndNote tab takes you to a guide on the free bibliographic citation management software provided by the OSU Library, and the OSU Theses/Dissertations tab has links to the OSU Graduate College guidelines and tips on finding OSU theses and dissertations.
Frequently used style manual books are listed below:
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological AssociationCall Number: 808.02 P976 2020ISBN: 9781433832161Publication Date: 2020Social Sciences
- MLA Handbook byCall Number: 808.027 M685 2016ISBN: 9781603292627Publication Date: 2016-04-01Humanities
- Style guide / American Sociological AssociationCall Number: 808.066301 A512s 2010ISBN: 0912764317Publication Date: 2010Social Sciences
- ACS [American Chemical Society] Style GuideCall Number: 808.06654 A105 2006ISBN: 0841239991Publication Date: 2006Sciences
- Scientific style and format: the CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and PublishersCall Number: 808.0665 S416 2006ISBN: 9780977966509Sciences
- Chicago Manual of StyleCall Number: 655.25 C532 2010ISBN: 9780226104201Publication Date: 2010General. Also available online in Find Articles - Databases on Library homepage
- Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian Style) byCall Number: 808.02 T929m 2007ISBN: 9780226823362Publication Date: 2007General