Art, Art History & Graphic Design: Home
This guide is intended to help you research topics in art, art history and graphic design, a field with a wide variety of library resources. Art research encompasses the study of painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, design, graphic arts, and intersects other subjects such as geography, anthropology, and mass media.
Develop a research plan
Develop your research topic.
What are the key concepts of your topic? Can you broaden or narrow your focus? Consider focusing on one or more of the following:
- time period
- specific event
- specific people
Does your topic overlap other subject areas such as anthropology, geography or political science?
Think of 2- 3 questions that you will need to explore.
- Think about the history of your topic, and its categories.
- Who are the key people? What did they do? Why did it happen?
Under each question, think about the following aspects:
- What do you already know about your topic or issue?
- What do you need to learn to better understand your topic or issue?
- What kind of information resource might provide the answer to these questions?
Consider your audience.
- Who will read your paper?
- Why will it be of interest to them?
- What will be new to them?