Languages and Literatures: Other Databases for Languages/Cultures
Mango Languages -- Language-Learning Database
Mango Languages is an online language-learning system provided by the OSU Library. It teaches conversation skills and has modules with exercises to help learners develop their languages skills and practice at their own pace. At the start screen, you can create a personalized login for the datbase), or click on the Quick Start button to begin exploring Mango Languages.
The database currently includes modules on
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Mandarin Chinese
- Russian, and many more.
OSU ID (O-Key login) required for access. It can be used both on- and off-campus.
For more information, see the Mango Languages FAQs.
Other Database with Multi-Lingual Sources
Below are some other databases offered by the OSU Library that have material in other languages. These include articles, e-books, historical and modern newspapers and other periodicals, and other sources. This is not a comprehensive list. OSU ID (O-Key login) required for access.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA) covers research in lingusitics, aspects of language (grammar, syntax, phonetics, and phonology), the history of language, and language in culture.
- International Encyclopedia of Linguistics (2nd Ed) encompasses the full range of topics in linguistics, including such areas as historical, comparative, formal, mathematical, functional, philosophical, and sociolinguistics. Special attention is given to interrelations within these branches of the field and to relations of linguistics with other disciplines. This interdisciplinary focus makes the encyclopedia an invaluable resource not only for linguistics but also for scholars working in the fields of computer science, mathematics, philosophy, the social and behavioral sciences, and literary studies.
- Sociological Abstracts contains research on societies, cultures, nations, sociolinguistics, and other culture and civilization-related topics.
- Factiva contains articles from newspapers and other periodicals from the last 10+ years in Spanish, German, French, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, and several other world languages.
- Film and Television Literature Index (FTLI) has criticism on world cinema and films in languages other than English.
- SPORTDiscus has articles in English and other languages (especially Spanish, French, and Geman) on sports, sports and culture, the Olympics, and organizations in Europe and the Americas.
- Latin American Newspapers offers high-quality digital copies of newspapers from Mexico and Central/South America from 1801-1922.
- African Newspapers offers high-quality digital copies of newspapers from the African colonies from 1800-1922, many in French or in African languages.
- Early English Books Online contains historical books printed in England from 1473-1700. Although the majority of the e-books in this collection are in English, there are books in Latin and in Renaissance French and some other European languages.
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online (European Literature 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection) has approximately 3,000 novels, books of poetry, and other literary titles from the early 1800s in English, French, and German.
- Sabin Americana contains books on the Americas from the 1500s to 1926, and has titles in Spanish, German, Dutch, and some Native American languages along with the English-language titles.
- Ethnologue: Languages of the World: a comprehensive reference work cataloging all of the world’s known living languages. Ethnologue provides access to statistics and other information on world’s more than 7,000 known living languages, including the number of speakers, location, dialects, linguistic affiliations.