Political Science: Home
Primary Databases for Political Science
- JSTORFull text access for over 228 scholarly journals in Political Science. Journals cover many disciplines, including African American Studies, Anthropology, Art & Architecture, Asian Studies, Biology, Botany, Ecology, Economics, Education, Finance, General Science, History, Humanities, Irish Studies, Language & Literature, Latin American Studies, Linguistics, Mathematics, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Population Studies, Slavic Studies, Sociology, and Statistics. Coverage generally ranges from 1900 to 2000, most journals have a moving wall of 3-5 years.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: Political ScienceOxford Bibliographies offer in-depth research guides and overview articles within academic subjects. Topic areas in the Political Science bibliography include African politics, Asian politics, comparative politics, European politics, international relations, Latin American politics, methodologies, Middle Eastern politics, political psychology, political theory, and US politics.
- Annual Review of Political ScienceThe Annual Review of Political Science, in publication since 1998, covers significant developments in the field of Political Science including political theory and philosophy, international relations, political economy, political behavior, American and comparative politics, public administration and policy, and methodology.
- SCOPUSAbstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature
- Proquest Research LibraryProquest is a multidisciplinary database covering magazines, journals and newspapers. Coverage begins in 1986. You'll find far better research in the social science databases listed elsewhere on this page, but you might find some more popular periodical titles here. Make sure to select 'Scholarly Journals' when you are searching.
- Project MuseFull text access for 41 Political Science journals
- CQ ResearcherOriginal, comprehensive reporting and analysis on major issues.
- Sociological AbstractsIndexes 3000 periodicals related to sociology, social work and other social sciences Indexing from 1952 - present; abstracts from 1963 - present Cited References available for all journal articles Direct links to full-text articles available for hundreds of journals
- Google ScholarSearches many peer-reviewed journals and other academic resources.
- PsycINFOAn index to psychology, behavior, personality, child development, family relations, homelessness, criminology and prisons Abstracts available with many links to full-text
- ERICERIC stands for Education Resource Information Center, and it is our major resource for research on education and related areas.
- America: History and LifeBibliographic reference to the history of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Published since 1964, the database comprises almost 400,000 bibliographic entries, covering over 2,000 US and foreign journals.
- Opinion ArchivesOpinionArchives provides searchable full-text access to several major periodicals known for their commentaries and opinion pieces on topics related to politics, culture, and the arts. These titles include American Spectator, Commentary, Commonweal, Dissent, Harpers Magazine, NACLA, The New Leader, The Nation, The National Review, The New Republic, The New York Review of Books, and The New Yorker. Coverage extends as far back as 1850.
- Military and Government CollectionThe Military & Government Collection provides current news pertaining to all branches of the military. The database contains indexing and abstracts for nearly 400 journals and periodicals and cover-to-cover full text content for nearly 300 of these titles
- ABI/INFORM GlobalBusiness database with peer-reviewed articles on public policy, corporate legal issues, regulations, etc.
- Proquest CongressionalProQuest Congressional is the only site anywhere that offers a comprehensive collection of congressional documents from 1789 to the present.
- HeinOnlineHeinOnline is a premier online database containing more than 150 million pages and 150,000 titles of legal history and government documents in a fully searchable, image-based format. HeinOnline bridges the gap in historical research by providing comprehensive coverage from inception of more than 2,400 law-related periodicals.
- Academic Search PremierAcademic Search Premier is a general subject index, similar to Proquest. It does not specialize in any given discipline, it attempts to cover them all.
- BOSSThe OSU library catalog database which also searches some but now all article, etc., databases and pools results.
- BOSS (Big Orange Search System)Go to the "Books & Media" tab above the search boxes to limit to books and ebooks.
Many print and online sources from the US governent, state goverment, international governments, and organizations such as the United Nations or World Bank are listed in our BOSS Catalog.
You may also consult the search resources on the Library's Government Documents page for additional methods of locating government sources.
Books Available Elsewhere
- WorldCatSearches major library catalogs worldwide. Search for and request items from other collections, e.g. Stillwater Public Library.
EndNote - free bibliographic management software that you can use to save citations into a database of references that you can insert into your research papers.
Zotero is a free, easy to use, online tool built to help undergraduates create, save, and share citations and build great works-cited lists and bibliographies
Citing Government Sources - a page created by the OSU Government Documents Department on citiing documents and other print and online sources from governemt agencies and organizations.
Style Sheet - Print Sources
- Style Manual for Political Science byCall Number: EbookISBN: 1878147331Publication Date: 2018In addition to providing guidance on grammar, the mechanics of writing, and APSA style, this manual offers an authoritative reference and citation system. It also covers the treatment of numbers, statistical and mathematical data, tables and figures.