Edmon Low Creative Studios: 3D Printing Studio
3D printing and scanning is available and free to use for any OSU student or faculty member.
We welcome and encourage all majors, departments, or anyone wanting to add this skill to their repertoire to come and use our resources!
How to get access:
In order to gain access to the library's 3D printers, you must first demonstrate your willingness to learn how to properly operate our machines by completing our 3D Printing Certification and Assessment Training.
The process is straightforward, fairly simple, perfect for beginners, and is required of all new users regardless of any prior experience.
What do I need to do?
You must first model a simple keychain tag using any CAD software of your choice.
(If you are unfamiliar with any modeling software we recommend Blender. It is a powerful, open source, multi-platform compatible modeling software whose website has a vast library of tutorials to get you started.)
Your required model must contain: a cylinder, a cube, a torus/ring, and 3D text. Once finished, export your model as a .STL format file and submit your file using the request link below. No further knowledge of the 3D printers is required.
Your model should closely resemble this:
What happens during the actual assessment?
Once we've confirmed your appointment, you will come to the Creative Studios bringing your "keychain.stl" with you on a flash drive. We will then use your 3D model to guide you through the process of 3D printing.
First you will import your object into the 3D printer's slicing software and learn how to properly arrange it to get the best print results. Next, we will walk you through the physical printing process, filament safety, proper procedures, and the assessment finishes with you printing out your modeled tag as a memento of your completed assessment.
Once you've completed your assessment, you can request 3D Prints using the second link below.
If you need access to the 3D scanner click the third link below; access requires brief training as well.
We look forward to seeing you!
Edmon Low Creative Studios
(405) 744 - 7615
3D Device Information
- Makerbot Replicator+ (5)
- Makerbot Replicator Z18
- Lulzbot Taz6 (2)
- Stratasys uPrint SE Plus
- David SLS-3 3D Scanner w/ Turntable
- PLA: Black, White, Grey, Silver, Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Green, Teal, Blue, Violet, Transparent, Brown, Tan.
- ABS: Ivory
- Makerbot PrintSlicing software for our Makerbot 3D printers
- Cura Lulzbot EditionSlicing software for our Lulzbot Taz 6 3D printers
- Blender 3D SoftwareOur recommended software for getting started with 3D modelling. A powerful, open source, free, CAD software that works with Windows, Mac, and Linux computers
- Tutorial Series for BlenderA great series of tutorials for anyone looking to get started using Blender.
- ThingiverseMakerbot's large, free database of 3D printable objects
3D Printing Statement of Responsibility