Experts Directory: Activity Type Definitions
This page lists all activity types available in Experts Directory:
Using an accurate activity type will improve reporting across the university. If you have an activity and you're not sure where to put it, you may prefer the What Goes Where? search.
Academic articles published in a journal
Abstracts / Conference proceedings
Published abstracts or proceedings of a conference presentation
Contributions published in a book or collection
Published reviews of a book written by another author
Fact sheets and other publications produced by the OSU Extension. These are added to Experts automatically and cannot be edited. Please submit any publications missing from your profile via the SHAREOK submission form.
Works published online that do not fit into an existing category such as journal article, video/audio/media, interview, etc
A print or online newsletter.
Encyclopedia entries and other publications that do not fit into another category
Teaching curricula and other published teaching materials
Published works in newspapers, magazines, or other non-academic or non-scholarly media
Posters presented at scholarly/professional meeting/conference
Articles accepted for publication but not yet published and/or reviewed. Preprints imported through connected databases will be linked to later-published journal articles also automatically imported.
Presentations given at conferences, meetings and to extension groups
Published reports, including extension publications published institutions other than Oklahoma State. Note: OSU fact sheets and other extension publications are automatically imported into Experts Directory as Extension Publications. Please submit missing publications via the SHAREOK submission form.
Software / Code
Published programs, applications, code
Theses / Dissertations
Authored, not supervised, theses or dissertations
Videos, podcasts, interactive digital works and other media creations
Preliminary scientific papers
Service as an administrator with a formal administrative assignment (Heads, Deans, Directors, Chairs, Clinical administrators, Co-administrators and Coordinators)
Awards, distinctions received
Clinical services in various settings, such as health center, veterinary clinic, pharmaceutical consultation, psychology clinic
Community engagement activities
Community engagement activities that do not fit into another type
Advisory or consulting services to outside group/agency/government/company
Editorship for a journal, book series, popular press over an extended period
Supervision of non-student employees (staff) as part of professional duties
Administration of an event as organizer, coordinator, chair, committee member
Event judging or refereeing
Participation in an event, without an administrative role
Expert testimony at trial, agency review, etc
Gift & fund development
Participation in donor fundraising activity
Institution / Program reviews
Assessment, review, accreditation of a department, program, or an entire institution
Interviews given or conducted
Marketing / Public relations activities
Design/creation of materials for marketing and/or public relations
Membership on a board (advisory, executive, etc)
Committee participation (department to international)
Memberships: Professional organization
Memberships in professional organizations
Mentoring: Professional (non-student)
Mentorship of non-student professional
Partnerships established with organizations and businesses
Peer Review: Conferences
Service as a reviewer or referee for a conference or conference prospectus
Peer Review: Curricula
Service as a reviewer or referee for a curriculum or curriculum proposal
Peer Review: Grant proposals
Service on a review panel, study section, advisory group to evaluate grant proposals
Peer Review: Journals
Service as a reviewer/referee of submissions to a journal/periodical
Peer Review: Manuscripts (non-journal)
Service as a reviewer/referee of submissions for a manuscript that is not a journal or periodical
Participation in an activity for the purpose of your own professional development
Participation in an applied research or instructional activity not covered by another type. Also useful for linking multiple related activities and publications.
Promotion / Tenure assessments
Review and assessment of faculty for promotion/tenure
Public offices held
Elected or appointed public office
Courses taught at OSU and recorded in Banner. These are entered automatically and cannot be edited. Here is a brief explanation of the course data, which is directly imported from Banner at the end of each semester:
- Course code: unique identification number for the course section with the leading numbers indicating the term (i.e. 2 or 3 indicates spring, 4 summer, and 6 or 7 indicates fall semester).
- Course term: the semester or term when the course was offered.
- Course title: the title of the course as indicated in the class schedule.
- Course description: the description of the course content as indicated in the class schedule.
- Start date: the start date for the class in the course term.
- End date: the end date for the class in the course term.
- Primary instructor: the instructor of record.
- Co-instructors: additional instructors in team-taught courses who are also listed in Banner.
- Credit hours: the number of credit hours offered for the course.
- Number of students: the total number of students enrolled in the class section.
- Institution: the institution within the Oklahoma A&M system where the course was taught.
- Campus code: the institution or campus within the A&M system where the course was taught.
- Academic Session: the part of term which indicates if a full 16-week or short course.
- Schedule Type: indicates the type of course as independent study, lab, lecture, etc.
- Instructional Method: indicates whether course delivery method was traditional, hybrid, or online.
- Course term code: the semester or term in which the course was held, beginning with the calendar year and followed by the term (20-spring; 40-summer; 60-fall), for example, courses taught in fall 2020 have the term code 202060.
- Course number: the identification number for the course as it appears in the course catalog.
- Course level: identifies the course as undergraduate, graduate, etc.
- Course subject: the subject of the course as listed in the course catalog.
- Attributes: if this course meets specific general education or program requirements they are listed here.
- Teaching Contribution Percentage: the teaching load percentile allocated to each instructor as recorded in Banner.
Development of new course / training
Newly developed or extensively revised courses, in-services, trainings, guest lectures, or workshops.
Development of new instructional materials
Newly developed or extensively revised teaching materials for an existing course or training.
Development of new programs
Academic programs developed
Non-OSU courses taught
Courses taught at other institutions other than OSU.
Other teaching / trainings
Courses, in-services, trainings, guest lectures, and workshops taught, but not recorded in Banner.
Student / Resident supervision
Thesis, dissertation and other graduate student committee activities. Advising or mentorship of students, residents, post-docs and student groups.
All grants and awards processed by Oklahoma State Grants & Contracts Financial Administration (GCFA) are automatically entered into Experts Directory.
Proposed or unfunded grants
Grants that have been proposed but not (yet) awarded and if awarded, would be processed by OSU Grants & Contracts Financial Administration (GCFA). Only funded grants are entered into Experts Directory automatically from GCFA.
Any grants that do not fit into the two types above, including the following: Grants or other funds awarded by departments, colleges or other entities at Oklahoma State University that are not processed by Grants & Contracts Financial Administration (GCFA). Grants processed by GCFA that were completed before 2017. Grants received prior to employment at OSU. Grants not processed by OSU GCFA.